Academic Policies & Guidelines

  • Academic Integrity

    Members of a university community, both faculty and students, bear a serious responsibility to uphold personal and professional integrity and to maintain complete honesty in all academic work. Violations of the code of academic integrity are not tolerated. Students who cheat or plagiarize or who otherwise take improper advantage of the work of others, face harsh penalties, including permanent dismissal. The academic integrity guidelines set forth student and faculty obligations, and the means of enforcing regulations and addressing grievances.

    Academic Advising

    Students are responsible for making appointments with their faculty advisors to select courses for the next term, and for registering for those courses either on-line or at the Enrollment Services Office in the Hangar Building. Students bear full responsibility for satisfying degree requirements. Assistance with this responsibility is available from their faculty advisor, the Academic Advising Center, the Registrar, or the VP & Dean of Academic Affairs. 

    Each Pitt-Bradford student is assigned an academic/faculty advisor. The advisor usually teaches in the student’s field of interest and assists the student with course selection, degree planning, and related matters. Advisors are available throughout the term for conferences with students. Students are urged to meet with their advisor frequently to discuss issues as they arise. The Academic Advising Center, located in Hanley Library, Room 218, coordinates the assignment of advisors. Requests for changes in academic advisors are also handled by this office. 

    The Academic Advising Center serves as the advising unit for those students who have an undeclared major, Liberal Studies, and General Studies.  The advisors assist the undeclared students with major and career exploration.  The Academic Advising Center provides assistance in advising all student in absence of their faculty advisor, graduation planning, registration (adding/dropping/withdrawing from courses), and academic coaching and study skill development.

    Course Numbering System
         6000 - 6199 Developmental courses 
         0100 - 0199 Freshman-level courses  
         0200 - 0299 Sophomore-level courses
         1300 - 1399 Junior-level courses
         1400 - 1499 Senior-level courses

    Students are expected to satisfy the competency requirements in English Composition and Mathematics prior to enrolling in more advanced courses.

    Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974

    According to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, no person or organization other than those listed below has a right to review a student’s academic record or to receive a transcript without the written consent of the student. 

    The following individuals and agencies may be furnished a student’s transcript without the written consent of the student:

    1. faculty and administrative officers of the issuing institution who have a legitimate need and interest in the student’s educational welfare;
    2. parents or legal guardians of the student, provided the parent or guardian can establish the student’s dependency as defined by the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, Section 152; 
    3. federal and state agencies listed in the Act; 
    4. the Veterans Administration.

    Directory Information Statement
    According to the guidelines of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, the Registrar’s Office may release without written consent information identified as public or directory information, defined as follows:

    1. name, address, telephone, dates of attendance, class;
    2. previous institutions attended, major, minor, awards, degree(s) conferred (including dates and any graduation honors).

    This information may be given to anyone who requests it unless the Registrar’s Office is informed in writing that this information is to remain confidential.

    Patent Policy
    A University student, during his or her period of enrollment, may be responsible for new discoveries and inventions that could have commercial value and contribute to scientific, technological, social, and cultural progress. Those accomplishments should be patented in the best interest of the student, the University, the public, and the government. The University’s policy on patent rights and technology transfer determines the rights and obligations of the student and the University in any technology the student may invent while enrolled in the University. Details of this University policy are available from the Office of Technology Transfer and Intellectual Property.


    Students are expected to attend classes as scheduled. Rules and penalties for absences are established by each faculty member.

    Final Exam Policy

    Students having more than two exams on one day (excluding evening classes) may petition their instructors for assistance in rescheduling one exam at a time mutually agreeable to student and instructor. If it is not possible to reach an agreement with one of the instructors, students should contact the appropriate division chair.


    Students may register for courses under three grading options: letter grades, pass for credit, or audit. The grading option must be selected during the registration period.

    Letter Grades 
    All courses required to satisfy associate and baccalaureate degree requirements — including all courses required for a major, a minor, or general education — must be taken for letter grades. Pitt-Bradford uses 13 earned letter grades. They are listed below with their equivalent quality point values.

    A+ = 4.00
    A = 4.00 superior achievement
    A- = 3.75

    B+ = 3.25
    B = 3.00 meritorious achievement
    B- = 2.75

    C+ = 2.25
    C = 2.00 adequate achievement
    C- = 1.75

    D+ = 1.25
    D = 1.00 minimal achievement
    D- = .75

    F = 0.00 failure

    Pass for Credit (S/N Grades) 
    General elective courses and certain designated courses may be taken on a pass-for-credit basis. A student enrolled in a course on a pass-for-credit basis receives either a grade of S or N.

    • S equivalent of C or better
    • N no credit

    Students must elect the S/N option by the fourth week of a term or the second week of a six-week summer session. For sessions which are shorter than six weeks, the decision has to be made in the first week. This decision may not be reversed, nor may a grade of one kind be replaced by a grade of the other kind for that course. Courses for which an S is received are counted towards graduation but are not computed in the QPA. No more than 12 credits with S grades may be counted toward graduation.

    Any course offered by the University may be audited by any student who has been formally admitted to Pitt-Bradford. Audited courses appear on the transcript with a grade of N, but no credit is earned. Regular tuition rates apply to courses taken for audit. Students must elect the audit option at the time of registration. This decision may not be reversed.

    Temporary Grades
    Two temporary letter grades may be issued under appropriate circumstances.

         “G” - course work interrupted (for reasons beyond student’s control)
         “I” - research in progress (reserved for Directed Research and Internship)

    It is expected that the student and instructor form a contract detailing how and when the course work is to be completed, as a temporary grade must be changed to a final letter grade within one year. If the necessary work is not completed by the date that was agreed upon, either the temporary grade will be changed to an “F,” or the instructor may change it to the grade which would have normally been assigned without the course work having been completed.

    Quality Point Average (QPA)
    The quality point average is an indicator of the level of academic achievement. It is used to determine academic standing and to establish eligibility for honors. The QPA is computed by dividing total quality points earned by total number of credits attempted. Total quality points are calculated by multiplying the number of credits each course carries by the numerical value of the grade earned for that course. For example, an A in a three-credit course is worth 12 quality points. The official QPA is determined in the Registrar’s Office.

    Grade Reports
    At the end of each term or session, a grade report is prepared by the Registrar’s Office and mailed to each student. This report shows the total credits carried, the grade received in each course, the total quality points earned that term, the quality point average (QPA) for that term, and the cumulative quality point average.


    Dean’s List
    Students who earn at least 12 credits in a term (excluding courses with 'S' grades), with no grade lower than a C and no temporary grades, and with a term QPA of at least 3.50 or higher are placed on the Dean’s List.

    Graduation Honors
    Those students of a graduating class who have attained an outstanding scholastic record may be graduated with honors. To qualify for honors, a student must have earned a minimum of 60 credits at Pitt-Bradford and attained a cumulative QPA of 3.25 for cum laude, 3.50 for magna cum laude, and 3.75 for summa cum laude.

    Honors Convocation
    At the annual University of Pittsburgh at Bradford Honors Convocation, a formal assembly in April, awards are presented to students with the highest scholastic records and academic achievement.


    Good Standing. A student is in good academic standing so long as both the QPA in the previous term and the cumulative QPA are 2.0 or higher.
    (Note: minimum QPA requirements for some programs may be higher than 2.0)

    Satisfactory Academic Progress. A student placed on academic probation must maintain satisfactory progress toward a degree in order to avoid suspension. Satisfactory academic progress is defined as a 1.0 or higher for first term freshmen, and as a 2.0 or higher for all other students.


    If you receive VA educational benefits, you must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in your chosen program of study. Veteran students will be ineligible for VA benefits for one term if they do not meet these standards. That means you will not receive your benefits for the term following such a determination. If a veteran or dependent is placed on Academic Suspension/Dismissal, Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits will be terminated immediately. Students may be re-certified for veteran's benefits ONLY after attaining the minimum required cumulative grade point average and submitting a request to the School Certifying Official (SCO) for re-certification.

    Academic Probation. If the QPA for a given term is below 2.0, or if the cumulative QPA is below 2.0, a student is placed on academic probation.

    Suspension. Students who are on academic probation for two consecutive regular (fall or spring) terms are subject to suspension from the college.

    First-year students (i.e., freshmen) who have completed only one term of full-time study, and who have failed to attain a quality point average of at least 1.0, are subject to suspension. Factors such as academic motivation and campus citizenship will be considered in making such decisions for suspension after only one term.

    Students who are suspended for academic reasons are not eligible to enroll for the following regular (fall or spring) term, and are required to wait at least one full term before a reinstatement request will be considered. Students are either expected to take courses at another institution, or do summer work to qualify for reinstatement. These requirements will be waived only for truly extraordinary circumstances.

    Summer Coursework. Students who have been suspended may be allowed, with the permission of the dean of academic affairs, to enroll in coursework at Pitt-Bradford during the summer sessions. A student who moves back to good academic standing through summer coursework must request reinstatement to resume studies on continued probation in the following fall term.

    Reinstatement. Reinstatement after suspension is not automatic. A suspended student seeking to resume studies in a subsequent term, after one or more terms of non-attendance, must request reinstatement in a letter to the dean of academic affairs. If the request is approved, the reinstatement letter will stipulate the conditions which must be met the following term (e.g., a limited load, repeats of courses, or change of major). Reinstatement does not cancel the suspension; rather, the reinstated student continues on academic probation.

    Dismissal. A student who has been reinstated after suspension, and subsequently fails to remain in good academic standing, is subject to dismissal. Dismissal is generally final and may not be appealed.

    Graduation Application
    An application for graduation must be filed with the Enrollment Services office prior to the anticipated graduation date. Applications may be submitted online through

    Anticipated Date of Graduation

    Deadline for Application


    Preceding November


    Preceding February


    Preceding February


    Preceding March


    Currently enrolled students go to and log in. Click Academic Resources and choose Order Transcripts or Verifications.

    Previously enrolled or CHS students can go to
    Click on link for-Previously Enrolled Students or CHS should go here.

    Enrollment Services does offer over the counter service which includes an official transcript or verification sealed and issued to the student free of charge.Currently enrolled students go to and log in. Click Academic Resources and choose Order Transcripts or Verifications.